Groove fittings are a new type of steel pipe connection fittings, also called clamp connections, with many advantages.
Groove pipe fittings definition
Automatic sprinkler system design specifications put forward, the system pipeline connection should be used groove connectors or fillet, flange connection; system diameter equal to or greater than 100mm pipeline, should be segmented using flange or groove connector connection.
Groove fittings connection technology, also known as clamp connection technology, has become the current preference for liquid and gas pipeline connection technology, although the development of this technology in China later than abroad, but because of its advanced technology, soon received by the domestic market. Since 1998, it has been developed and applied in just a few years, and has gradually replaced the two traditional pipeline connection methods of flange and welding. Not only is the technology more mature, the market is also generally recognized, and has been actively guided by national regulations and policies.
The application of groove pipe connection technology, so that the complex pipeline connection process becomes simple, fast and convenient. Make a big step forward in pipeline connection technology.
Introduction of pipe fittings
Groove fittings include two major products.
① Fittings that play the role of connecting and sealing are rigid joints, flexible joints, mechanical tees and grooved flanges.
②The fittings that play the role of connecting transition are elbow, tee, four-way, reducer, blind plate, etc.
The role of the connection sealing groove connection fittings are mainly composed of three parts: sealing rubber ring, clamps and locking bolts. The inner rubber seal ring is placed on the outside of the connected pipe and coincides with the pre-rolled groove, and then the clamp is fastened on the outside of the rubber ring, and then fastened with two bolts. Due to the unique sealable structure design of the rubber seal and clamp, the groove joint has good sealing and the sealing is enhanced accordingly with the increase of fluid pressure inside the pipe.
Groove pipe fittings Features
- Fast installation. The installation speed is significantly faster than that of screw and flange connections, and the automatic centering of the pipe can be achieved through the clamps, which can greatly improve the construction efficiency and effectively shorten the pipe installation period.
- Safe and reliable. On the one hand, the grooving machine and hole opener used in the installation process are special tools provided by the manufacturer to ensure the accuracy of groove processing at the pipe end; on the other hand, the seal ring in the inner cavity of the clamp plays the role of gripping the pipe to achieve a tight seal, and the greater the internal pressure, the better the seal. The greater the internal pressure, the better the seal. The nominal pressure of the fittings can be as high as 2.5MPa.
- Easy installation. The number of bolts to be fastened in grooved fittings is small, easy to operate, and only a wrench is needed for disassembly and installation.
- Economy. Grooved clamp connection will not damage the galvanized layer, so the pipe does not need to be installed, galvanized and transported twice, so the installation cost is greatly reduced. The installation speed is fast, which can shorten the construction period and make the project put into use earlier, creating economic benefits earlier.
- Environmental protection. Trench pipe fitting and installation, no welding, no open fire, so no weld slag pollution, no damage to the galvanized layer inside and outside the pipe, and will not pollute the site and the surrounding environment, and is conducive to fire prevention. Trench type connection reduces the transmission of noise and vibration because of the gap between the pipe ends.
- Not limited by the installation site, easy to maintain. The trench type fittings can be pre-assembled first, and the bolts can be adjusted arbitrarily before locking, and the piping order is not directional.
Advantages of the connection
The connection operation of grooved fittings is very easy and does not require special professional skills, and can be operated by ordinary workers with simple training. This is because the product has a large number of fine technical parts dissolved into the finished product in a factory way. A pipe connection takes only a few minutes, which simplifies the technical difficulty of the field operation to the maximum extent and saves man-hours, thus also stabilizing the quality of the project and improving the efficiency. This is also the general direction of the development of installation technology.
The traditional pipe connection method of welding and flange connection not only requires welders with appropriate skills, but also is time-consuming and difficult for workers to operate, and there is pollution from welding fumes. Due to the difference in operating space and welding skills, it is difficult to achieve satisfactory results in both welding quality and appearance, thus affecting the overall quality of the project.
In addition, because the groove fittings are finished parts, the operation space required at the site is small, and can be truly installed against the wall by the corner, the difficulty of operation is greatly reduced, thus saving floor space and beautifying the effect of pipe installation.
2、The original characteristics of the pipe are not affected
Groove pipe connection, only in the outer surface of the connected pipe with a groove machine extrusion groove, without damaging the inner wall structure of the pipe, which is the unique technical advantages of groove pipe connection. If conventional welding operations are used, many pipes with internal corrosion protection layers will be damaged. Therefore, the specification stipulates that galvanized pipes, plastic-lined steel pipes, steel-plastic composite pipes, etc. are not allowed to use welding and flange connections, otherwise they require secondary processing.
3, conducive to construction safety
The use of groove pipe connection technology, the site only requires cutting machines, groove rollers and knob tightening bolts with the moving hand, construction organization is convenient. The use of welding and flange connection, it needs to be equipped with complex power cables, cutting machines, welding machines and oxygen and acetylene cylinders, etc., which brings complexity to the construction organization, and there is also the danger of leakage and fire hazards. At the same time, welding and gas cutting generated by the welding slag, inevitably fall into the interior of the pipeline, the use of easy to produce pipeline valves and even equipment blockage, but also pollute the water quality of the pipe.
In addition, welding and flange connection inevitably requires a long time of high-intensity overhead work, but also prone to production safety accidents.
4、Good system stability and easy maintenance
Groove pipe connection has a unique flexible characteristics, so that the pipeline has the ability to resist vibration, shrinkage and expansion, compared with welding and flange connections, the stability of the pipeline system increases, more suitable for temperature changes, thus protecting the pipeline valve parts, but also reduce the damage to the structural components of the pipeline stress.
Because of the simple operation of groove pipe connection, the required operation space becomes smaller, which brings many convenient conditions for future maintenance. When the pipeline needs to be repaired and replaced, it can be replaced, rotated and modified at will by simply loosening the two clamps. No need to destroy the surrounding walls, reducing maintenance time and maintenance costs.
Groove pipe connection is simple to operate, saving labor and time, so it has good economic benefits. Many articles have done economic analysis, that “the use of clamp connections, although the price of individual fittings of the clamp is higher, but the overall benefits of the entire network installation is higher than the flange connection. The articles compare flange connections with secondary galvanizing (which is also required by code).